Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Connection, CANADA


Day 1 (June 30, 2008)

I told you it would get busy once these weeks started, but even with all that I knew would happen there are always a few exciting surprises.

Last night we had a meal at the church for a team from Arkansas and one from California. That lasted till about 9. Then it was baths and bed for everyone here. It was about 11 before we all got settled. I made a promise to myself that we’d be in bed by 10 tomorrow. (Remember those surprised?)

Well, today was Monday and the first day of our camps. We were all involved and had to get up early and get everyone ready to be at the school at around 8 AM. Kevin was over here and had to load a few things in the morning yet. I had some phone calls and stuff and was a little bit later. We all got there and got set up. I also missed my time of prayer and wanted to make sure I did that late.

Then it was registering about 100 children. My job was to visit the different families while our team handed out coffee and tea and an invitation to a free financial seminar. Unfortunately, nearly everyone came at about 9 so it took about 45 minutes to get everyone in the gym. But I met several very interesting families. One talked to me for a long time. They were just starting to look for a church. When they left, I went around and took a few pictures and visited the different rooms. Kyle felt sick and had to go home. I also hurried home.

About ½ of our house is used for church work. Our church offices are in the basement (which is really the first floor.) In the office, Wanda was working on the movie posters and I needed to just see how she was doing. Then I needed to rush to my messages. Because of Kyle’s busy schedule with filming, he needed all the videos for the next 5 messages by Tuesday. So I needed to have a solid idea of these messages by today. I worked and planned furiously. At noon it was back to the school for the closing and another time of seeing the parents. Good thing the camps were in the safe hands of Pamela (camp coordinator) & Kevin (team coordinator). After that I was starving and found some left over egg sandwiches from Sunday. I sat with Adam as he ate a soup and I devoured 3 sandwiches. Wow. Then back to the school again for a quick debriefing. I got Kevin’s camera so I could get the photos of the parents and identify the ones I had met and visited with. The memory stick did not want to read but finally I got it working. I tried working a little bit again. There were people in our back yard working and a few in and out of the office. Plus phone calls. But I had to keep my focus on those messages.

At 4 there was another closing. I was slightly late for that one. I visited with a few more parents and met a recent immigrant for Ireland. They were very interesting. (I love British accents.) Coming from a large family they were obviously lonely. I tried to figure how to reach them for Jesus. There were also several Pilipino families that wanted us to run these camps in their city next yet. They said they would help gather many families.

After closing up the school and saying thank you to the principal, I headed home and went over to the church for a time of prayer. God surprised me by visiting me in a powerful way. He taught me things and moved in my heart in such a powerful way – I just can’t explain it in this space – except to say that my heart was broken anew with how much God loves people and wants everyone to come to know him. After God had showed me this in a fresh way, I fell on my knees and begged him for the privilege of bringing many souls to know him.

Then it was home, a 15 minute jog, and a supper. Tiffany had an evening practice and had been in a hot school for 8 hours (as camp nurse) and didn’t really feel like cooking. Do you blame her? So after eating our very healthy Subway sandwiches, we hurried home so Tiffany could get ready for her 7 pm practice. One of our neighbors has asked us to watch their plants and lawn. Adam and I go over there to get the details. Meanwhile Tiffany rearranges the practice. Because Kyle was still sick – we think with the flue – and the church would be very hot she moves the band practice to our home. Besides, it would take an hour to set up the sound equipment. (Since we did not yet have bars on our location, the new sound equipment, purchased since the robbery 3 weeks ago, is being stored at our house.) So very soon, Catherine, Andrea, Tiffany, Lionel & Dorothy were here to practice.

Meanwhile, I headed back to the keyboard to work on the messages. There was a deadline. And how beautiful it was to work to the sound of angels singing in the next room! It was like being in heaven. While this is going on, Pamela was printing dozens of copies of a parenting flier to be handed out to parents this week. I took a look. It was beautiful.

At about 8:30 I took Adam to the skateboard park. He had asked me all day and I wanted do that for at least a few minutes. After all, this is one of his favorite activities. The day was been very hot, but the evening was turning out beautifully.

At the park the mosquitoes were out. How unusual for Maple Ridge! We don’t usually have any. The team from Little Rock was at the skate park. We visited and watched Adam. Then Adam comes to me with a hurt arm. He felt it was serious.

So we headed home where Tiffany looked at the wrist. She was concerned that it might be broken. We decided that it is best that we check out the hospital tonight. That might take a long time but tomorrow would be no better.

I stayed home and sat down with Mikaela to watch the end of the Mariner’s game. But within an inning, the phone rings. The intern who had driven all the way from Oregon had just arrived at the church. Initially Kyle was going to handle this but he was still sick. I ask the Matt, and his friend, Josh (part of the mission team coming next week) to drive to our place where I felt them what left over pizza and ice tea I could find. Finally at 10 PM, I was able to get hold of the place where they were to stay for the night. Then I drive them across the city.

I get back at about 10:30. Tiffany is still not back with Adam. ER waits can be 4 hours. So I put Mikaela to bed and wait.

Now, it’s midnight. I’m still waiting.

I share this with you so you might pray for us. I’m sure that if any one of our team shared their day it would be just as interesting as mine. So pray for all of us. Pray for Pamela as she handles all the details. Pray for Kevin as he deals with the team. Pray for Kyle that he get better quickly. Pray for our family and our core team. Pray that we meet and bring in some more team members.

Tomorrow will be another day. There will be struggles and surprised. Today, God brought some new people into our life, allowed me to worship him in a new and powerful way, and let me grow in the grace of patience. Who knows what tomorrow will hold?


John MartensThe Connectionhttp://www.tcjourney.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First Baptist Church Decatur is praying for you! Along with our monthly gifts to you, your family and The Connection, come our love and support. We pray blessings on the Church that it will continue to grow and impact Maple Ridge and that God will meet every need you have.

We look forward to seeing you in October and pray that God will raise up a group to minister with you.